Strategy, Planning, and Selection
Assume for this assignment that you are being highly considered for a director-level HR management position for a best-in-class national retailer. You are in the final phase of the interview process and must respond to the interview panel regarding specific questions and scenarios that will help them determine if you are a good fit for the new role. The company’s culture is centered on the effective development of strategy, plans, and selection criteria aimed at building and sustaining a competitive and profitable organization. It will be extremely important that you respond with a strategic mindset in order to convince the organization you are able to help them ensure the execution of the business strategy.
Write a six- to seven-page paper in which you do the following:
- Analyze and discuss different types of strategies (cost leadership, differentiation, and focus/niche) then select which one you would deem more appropriate for an “efficiency-minded” retail organization and explain your rationale. How would the selected strategy ultimately affect how HR does its job?
- Examine the four approaches to job design or redesign and provide an example (not a definition) of each. Then, make a case to the interviewing panel on the importance of effective job design applications in supporting the overall strategic goals of the organization.
- Consider challenges and constraints associated in recruiting and identify and discuss at least two to three issues. What advice would you give to leaders to address your selected issues? Be specific.
- List and describe 2–3 candidate selection process ideas that might add value and overall effectiveness to the process. Example: 5 Tips for Designing an Effective Employee Selection System. Also, what problems should HR and management teams avoid during the selection process?
- Use at least four quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: You may only use the resources listed in the Course Guide and those that are specifically provided by the professor.