Mathematics homework help.
Chapter 8 Basic Statistics Homework Name___________________________________
You may use a calculator.
Solve. 1) Here are a student’s grades at the end of semester together with the number of credits for the course:
Computer science (3) – F; English literature (2) – C; Modern dance (2) – A; Physics I (3) – D; and Ethnic studies (3) – C. If A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, and F = 0, find her grade point average. Round to the nearest hundredth.
2) The students in Hugh Logan’s math class took the Scholastic Aptitude Test. Their math scores are shown below. Find the mean score. Round to the nearest tenth.
540 622 354 347 622 341 344 514 470 482
3) The manager of a video store recorded the number of video tapes borrowed each day for 12 consecutive days. The results were as follows. What was the median number of video tapes borrowed? Round to the nearest tenth.
283 263 356 379 82 105 82 304 116 320 72 318
4) Here are the prices (in dollars) of 16 electric smoothtop ranges. What are the mode and range of the prices? 875 1030 665 575 1475 1130 775 1030 730 775 840 1330 565 1075 1030 690
5) Katie and some of her friends took part in a marathon race last year and in another one this year. The table shows the times for each person in the two races. Write your answer in complete sentence form and include correct units.
Times in Marathon Races Runner Last Year This Year Katie 3 hr 55 min 4 hr 6 min Joan 3 hr 45 min 3 hr 36 min Maura 4 hr 13 min 4 hr 13 min Sandi 4 hr 8 min 3 hr 43 min Sonoko 3 hr 49 min 3 hr 52 min Isabelle 4 hr 30 min 4 hr 27 min Suzanne 3 hr 38 min 3 hr 39 min
Which runners did better this year than last?
6) The bar graph shows the expenditures of one city government in a recent year.
How much more is spent on Health than on Fire? Write your answer in complete sentence form and include correct units.
7) A psychologist administers four different tests and then graphs the number of minutes it takes for her patient to complete each test. Determine how many more minutes were needed for the patient to complete Test 4 than to complete Test 3. Write your answer in complete sentence form and include correct units.
8) The following graph indicates the number of vehicles sold during a seven week period by two different salespeople.
How many more vehicles did Chris sell in the first week than Pat sold in the fourth week? Write your answer in complete sentence form and include correct units.
9) The following circle graph displays Chris and Mary Smith’s monthly $2900 family budget. What fraction of the total monthly budget is spent on charity? Write your answer in complete sentence form and include correct units.
10) The following graph shows the number of male and female athletes at a university over a four-year period. Which year had the smallest number of male athletes? What was the total number of male athletes that year? Write your answer in complete sentence form and include correct units.