Nursing homework help.
Special Topics in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Many children face special issues that impact everyday life, whether it is within themselves, their families, or their environment. The PMHNP must be sensitive to these many issues that children and adolescents are faced with during important developmental years.
In this Discussion, you select a special population and analyze the psychological issues that the population faces. You also address the assessment and treatment needs of the population.
- Analyze psychological issues that may arise in children faced with special circumstances
- Evaluate assessment measures used with children faced with special circumstances
- Evaluate treatment options used with children faced with special circumstances
- Analyze cultural influences on treatments (D)
To Prepare for the Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources.
- Select one of the following topics for the Discussion:
- Foster care
- Gender dysphoria
- Forensic issues
- Impact of terrorism on children
- Write your selected disorder in the subject line of your Discussion post.
- Explain the psychological issues that may result from your topic.
- Describe the most effective assessment measure that could be used, and explain why you selected this.
- Explain the treatment options available for children and adolescents involved with your selected disorder.
- Explain how culture may influence treatment.
Required Readings ( Need 3 references).
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). (2012c). Practice parameter on gay, lesbian, or bisexual sexual orientation, gender nonconformity, and gender discordance in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 51(9), 957–974. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(12)00500-X/pdf
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). (2011). Practice parameter for child and adolescent forensic evaluations. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 50(12), 1299-1312. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(11)00883-5/pdf
American Nurses Association. (2014). Psychiatric-mental health nursing: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
· Standards 11 “Communication” (page 75)
· “Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders”
· “Other Conditions That May Be a Focus of Clinical Attention”
· “Assessment Measures”
· “Cultural Formulation”
Human Rights Campaign. (n.d.). Growing up LGBT in America. Retrieved June 8, 2017, from http://assets.hrc.org//files/assets/resources/Growing-Up-LGBT-in-America_Report.pdf?_ga=1.83582870.1279387255.1493224749
Lee, T., Fouras, G., & Brown, R. (2015). Practice parameter for the assessment and management of youth involved with the child welfare system. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 54(6), 502–517. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(15)00148-3/pdf
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
· Chapter 31, “Child Psychiatry” (pp. 1279–1323)
Thapar, A., Pine, D. S., Leckman, J. F., Scott, S., Snowling, M. J., & Taylor, E. A. (2015). Rutter’s child and adolescent psychiatry (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.
· Chapter 19, “Legal Issues in the Care and Treatment of Children With Mental Health Disorders” (pp. 239–249)
· Chapter 49, “Forensic Psychology” (pp. 636–647)