>Sociology homework help.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 5, 6
- Minimum of 1 outside scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
Social psychologist Irving Janis coined the term groupthink to describe how people often respond differently in a group context than they might if they were alone. Another interesting topic of sociological study is the area of deviance and social control. The textbook provides multiples examples from history where groupthink may have influenced people to participate in socially deviant behavior that they might have otherwise avoided.
For the initial post, respond to one of the following options, and label the beginning of your post indicating either Option 1 or Option 2:
- Option 1: Share an example from your personal experience (of your own or of someone you know), or an example from history, where groupthink may have influenced people to behave or arrive at a decision in a way that many individual members privately might have avoided or thoughts unwise.
- Option 2: Choose a form of deviance with which you are familiar (not necessarily something you have done, but something someone you know did). Examine why society views that behavior as deviant and whether perceptions of that behavior have changed over time. Determine and explain which theory of deviance you think works best for understanding the deviant behavior you have chosen to discuss. Remember to be respectful in light of potentially sensitive topics, and consider what you might be disclosing, as there is no guarantee of privacy.
· Length: 1 Full Page
· APA format for at least 2 in-text citations and list of references
· Include citations from at least the assigned textbook/lesson reading and one additional outside scholarly source to support your response.